How We Got Started
The J.M. Devine Company, Inc. was established in October 1959 representing manufacturers of the latest scientific instrumentation available. Throughout the six New England states, the firm began its distribution network with spectroscopy equipment. Instruments such as infrared spectrophotometers, optical emission spectrographs, and vapor pressure and gravity systems were the company’s initial offerings.
In 1963, the company entered into the newly developing Non-Destructive Testing (NDT) arena by introducing Krautkramer Ultrasonics, Inc., a subsidiary of Krautkramer Koln, Germany to the New England market. Sales and market preparation steadily increased through the 1960’s with the addition of customers such as General Electric, Portsmouth Naval Ship Yard, General Dynamics Electric Boat Corp., Factory Mutual Labs, Bath Iron Works, and the Pratt& Whitney plants in CT & Maine.
In 1972, Krautkramer Germany was acquired by Smith-Kline Corporation, the owner of Branson Instruments Company, and the two manufacturers merged to form Krautkramer Branson, Inc.
The J.M. Devine Company expanded and incorporated in 1972. During the 1970’s the rapid growth of the NDT market caused the J. M. Devine Company, Inc. to broaden its product offerings and acquire additional lines to compliment its various NDT technologies of x-ray, ultrasonic, penetrant, magnetic particle, and eddy current.
At present, the J.M. Devine Company, Inc. provides products in all disciplines of the NDT industry for distribution throughout all six New England states.